Even a minor injury can turn out to be much more serious than expected in the aftermath of a car accident. Shock, immobilization, and anxiety can make even the most trivial of injuries appear to be much worse than they are. It’s not uncommon for seemingly minor injuries to develop complications that can require immediate medical attention.
In this article, we will discuss why it is important to seek immediate medical attention even for what may seem like moderate or minor injuries after a car wreck in Duncan, SC.
Even if your injuries are not severe, Injury Medicine’s Duncan injury clinic can offer you the care you need. For now, let’s have a look at why seeking immediate medical attention is vital.
Why You Should Seek Medical Care After An Accident
A car wreck is a traumatic event that can have serious consequences. Even if you don’t think you’re injured, it’s important to see a doctor right away. Here’s why.
- Your body is in shock after an accident. It’s not always immediately apparent how badly you’re hurt. Internal bleeding, concussions, and other injuries may not show symptoms until hours or days later.
- If you’ve been in a serious accident, you may be entitled to compensation from the other driver’s insurance company. But if you wait too long to seek medical treatment, the insurance company may argue that your injuries aren’t related to the accident.
- Getting prompt medical attention also helps document the extent of your injuries in case you need to file a personal injury lawsuit. Your medical records will be essential evidence in proving your damages to a jury.
Here’s What To Do After a Car Wreck in Duncan
After a car accident, you must seek medical attention as soon as possible, even if your injuries appear moderate. Following a car accident, you should take the following steps.
- Check yourself for injuries and check on the condition of your passengers. If anyone is injured, call 911 right away.
- If you’re able to, move your vehicle out of the way of traffic. Turn on your hazard lights to warn other drivers.
- Exchange information with the other driver, including insurance information. Be sure to get the other driver’s name, address, phone number, insurance company name, and policy number.
- Take pictures of the accident scene, if possible. Include photos of the damage to both vehicles and any visible injuries.
- Get witness information from anyone who saw the accident happen. Be sure to get their names, addresses, and phone numbers so you can contact them later if needed.
- See a doctor as soon as possible after the accident, even if you don’t think you’re injured. Some injuries may not be immediately apparent but could become serious later on
Signs That You Need Professional Medical Attention
If you were involved in a car accident, even if it was a minor fender bender, it is important to seek professional medical attention immediately. Many people think that as long as they don’t feel any pain or have any visible injuries, they are fine and don’t need to see a doctor. However, many internal injuries may not be immediately apparent, but can still be very serious.
Here are some signs that you should see a doctor after a car accident.
- You hit your head during the accident, even if you didn’t lose consciousness. Even a minor concussion can be serious and require medical attention.
- Experiencing neck pain or stiffness. This could be a sign of whiplash or other neck injuries.
- It is difficult for you to move your arms or legs. Damage to the spinal cord could be indicated by this.
- You are feeling dizzy, lightheaded, or nauseous.
- You are coughing up blood. This is an indication of internal bleeding and requires immediate medical attention.
If you experience any of these symptoms following a car accident, you should see a doctor right away. Don’t take chances with your health after an accident – seek professional medical attention right away.
Conditions That Require Immediate Medical Attention After A Crash
Several conditions necessitate seeking medical attention following any car wreck in Duncan, SC.
This is a condition that can occur after a moderate car accident. It’s caused by the sudden jolting of the neck, which can damage the vertebrae and nerves in the neck. Symptoms include pain, stiffness, and headaches.
Soft Tissue Injuries
These are injuries to the muscles, tendons, and ligaments. They can be very painful and take a long time to heal properly if they’re not treated right away.
This is a serious condition that can occur after any type of accident, even if there are no visible injuries. Internal bleeding can cause organ damage or death if it’s not treated immediately.
A concussion is a type of brain injury that can occur as a result of any type of head trauma, including, car accidents. Concussions can result in headaches, dizziness, nausea, and memory loss. If you suspect you have a concussion, see a doctor right away so you can get the proper treatment.
The Negative Effects of Ignoring Moderate Injuries
If you ever get into a car accident, you may be tempted to just “walk it off” if your injuries seem moderate. But even moderate injuries can have serious consequences if they’re not treated promptly.
Internal bleeding, for example, is not always visible immediately after an injury. However, if left untreated, it can cause organ damage and death. A concussion may appear to be a minor injury, but it can cause long-term memory and concentration problems.
And even seemingly minor injuries like whiplash can result in chronic pain if they’re not treated properly. So if you’ve been in a car accident, don’t take chances with your health – see a doctor right away.
Contacting A Duncan Injury Center Is Your Best Bet
You might ask yourself questions after an accident like: Do I need to see a doctor right away? Should I go to the emergency room? Should I see a doctor even if my injuries are relatively minor?
Injury Medicine can help you with all of these questions and more. We can provide you with the medical care and support you need to recover from your injuries and get your life back on track as soon as possible.
We offer a range of services to help car accident victims, such as medical care, physical therapy, and chiropractic care. Whether you were injured in a minor fender bender or a major collision, our Duncan injury clinic can help you get your life back on track.
Our medical services encompass x-rays, MRI scans, physical therapy, and more. We can also help you with the paperwork and insurance claims process.
Don’t hesitate to give us a call. We can help you get the treatment you need and get your life back on track!