If you’re involved in a car accident, there’s a good chance you’ll be left dealing with back pain. The team at our Greenville injury treatment center can diagnose your injuries and make sure you get the care you need.
We are experts in urgent care, pain management, chiropractic, orthopedic surgery, and more. Contact us today to schedule an appointment at Injury Medicine in Greenville or one of our other locations in South Carolina.
Common Back Injuries Caused by Car Accidents
Whether you’re in a serious crash or a minor accident, there’s a good chance you’ll injure your back. It doesn’t matter if you’re in the front of the car or in the back seat. It also doesn’t matter if you are the driver or passenger.
Some of the more common back injuries that our patients experience after a car crash include the following:
- Whiplash – When your neck is stretched too far in one direction, it can cause a sprain or strain. The pain from whiplash may radiate to your back.
- Herniated Discs – When your vehicle is struck, your back could be twisted or stretched too far. This can cause spinal discs to bulge out. A herniated disc is extremely painful and, if serious enough, may require surgery.
- Back Sprains and Strains – Any sort of car crash can cause back muscle strains and sprains. Chiropractic care can help relieve pain and improve your range of motion.
- Spinal Cord Injuries – If you suffer a spinal cord injury, you could be left partially or totally paralyzed.
When you visit our treatment center, our team will run the necessary tests to determine exactly what injuries you’ve suffered.
We’ll Run the Necessary Diagnostic Tests
Before any treatment plan is devised, you’ll need to undergo certain diagnostic tests. This allows your doctor to identify the nature and extent of your injuries. It can also help determine what is causing your back pain after an accident.
Some of the tests we run at our Greenville injury center include:
- CT scan
- Neurological examination
- Physical examination
Depending on what these tests reveal, you may need to have other tests as well. It all depends on the types of injuries you’ve sustained.
Treatment for Back Pain After an Accident
Once our medical team has identified the cause of your back pain, they’ll create a treatment plan. Depending on your injuries, your treatment plan could involve any of the following.
- Discectomy: Discectomy surgery essentially removes the herniated section of a disc, alleviating the pressure on surrounding nerves.
- Spinal Fusion: Spinal fusion surgery is a procedure that is used to connect two or more vertebrae together. This is done to stabilize the spine and relieve pain.
- Kyphoplasty: Kyphoplasty is a minimally invasive procedure used to treat spinal compression fractures. Bone cement is injected into a fractured vertebra. The cement hardens and acts like an internal cast.
- Chiropractic Care: Chiropractors gently manipulate your back to restore correct alignment, relieve pain, and improve your range of motion. Chiropractic care is beneficial for many causes of neck and back pain, including herniated discs, sprains, and whiplash.
- Pain Management: Depending on the severity of your discomfort, we may prescribe pain medication or recommend pain injections such as nerve blocks.
We Can Help You Recover After a Car Crash
If you have hurt your back in a car wreck, we suggest that you contact us and schedule an appointment at one of our treatment centers in South Carolina. We’ll make sure you get the care you need and help you deal with any pain you’re experiencing.
At Injury Medicine, we are experts in urgent care, pain management, chiropractic, orthopedic surgery, and more. We can assess your injuries and develop a personalized treatment plan. We also work with your lawyer so you can get the compensation you deserve.
Call our offices at 864-866-PAIN today.